Thursday, October 13, 2011

Going Gluten Free

So just in the last week and a half I’ve been giving gluten free a try.  I’ve never been diagnosed as celiac or gluten intolerance.  My mom however has a big problem with gluten (which makes me more susceptible) and I’ve been reading a lot about wheat free/gluten free/grain free diets, not in terms of weight loss but maintaining overall health.  I’ve been especially interested in how they can affect auto-immune disorders and anxiety.
I’d been doing exceptionally well until last night when I ate some cereal I thought was gluten free.  

 Interestingly my mom and I both commented that our stomachs felt a little funky and bloated (and I got really itchy) and we came to find out the cereal did in fact have some wheat in it.  Coincidence?  I think not.

The thing I’ve noticed is that I’ve been giving myself extra leeway for eating a lot of extra calories because I love to try new foods and have been very excited to try some of my new gluten free finds.  My body has also been having major carbohydrates  cravings because of the lack of wheat which I’ve been indulging with too much non-gluten carbohydrates.

Now that I’ve adjusted a bit more to the change I’m going to work on being more strict with my diet.
Cutting out several food groups though has definitely been enlightening.  I’ve noticed that even though I can certainly overeat many of these new foods I don’t have the same urge to binge on them as I do on wheat containing foods.

Although I did discover this week that anything containing refined sugar is a huge binge trigger for me, whereas when I’ve been eating foods with more natural sweeteners like raw honey, molasses, etc.. I don’t feel the same desire to over eat them.

So while I'm going gluten free I'm also going to work on cutting out refined sugars too.  

It’s in an interesting (sometimes confusing, sometimes frustrating) journey but I’m ready for it!


No comments:

Post a Comment