Friday, February 17, 2012

Gluten Free Journey



Some of you may remember a few months ago when I tried to go Gluten free. I started off just trying to help out my mom who is Gluten Intolerant. However the more I read about what Gluten can do to the body the more I thought it would be something beneficial for me and it became about helping my mom and myself.

I made it about two weeks and though I didn't notice any weight loss, I noticed my anxiety went down considerably (which I later learned is actually a reason many people cut out gluten). In fact after the first week and half of crazy cravings for gluten and sugar my food cravings actually started to subside.

So of course you must be wondering...why on earth did I go back to eating it? It's a good question and I guess the only answer is that I'm human. I'm also addicted. I love carbs, but not just carbs, certain kinds of carbs.

The thing is, I felt better. It was more difficult sometimes, especially because my husband (and most of the world) eats it all the time. But I felt better and I've been struggling since I started eating it again. Trying to convince myself that I don't need to go gluten free that I'm fine as I am, but constantly remembering how much better I felt when I did it.

And I realized I'm addicted to Gluten. Which if you read about the affects of wheat/gluten is pretty common in people who actually shouldn't be eating it.
So I started again yesterday. Except all day in the back of my mind was all the things I couldn't eat and so to make myself feel better I ended up eating way too much sugar because it was gluten free.

Which led me to my next conclusion. I'm also addicted to sugar.



So today begins a new journey. I'm going to cut out all white sugar and gluten. It won't be easy, and it may not be free of slip ups (though I'm sure as heck going to try). There are so many great alternatives, but its a lo of work and changing the way I look at food, the way I cook and even the way I shop (which will be harder with a husband who loves his bread).

So I'm putting it all out on the line. chronicling my successes and failures, and my food experiments, because the more I talk about it the more real it feels for me and the more accountable I am.

So here's to making a change for the better. To breaking free from addiction.

Here goes nothing. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment