Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Recipe - Crock Pot Cinnamon Honey Applesauce (Refined Sugar Free)

If you read my last post you know I had 3lbs of organic fuji apples that I got for a bargain.  Unfortunately I already had apples in the fridge so I wanted to find a way to use them all up and then it hit me - make applesauce!  (which is delicious...unless its store bought which is not so great). 

I searched the internet and found various crock pot recipes but they all had too much sugar.  So with the basic idea of apples, some liquid and some kind of sweetener and I just winged it and made up my own recipe!

Ingredients:
  • 3 lbs of apples (I used organic fuji)
  • 1 TBS ground cinnamon
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 1 TBS raw honey
  • 1/2 tsp liquid stevia

I used 3lbs of organic fuji apples (not all in the picture).


 The next step is to peel them all.

 Then I cored and roughly chopped all the apples into about 1 inch piece and threw in the crock pot.  I also sprinkled them with cinnamon and drizzled with stevia and raw honey then tossed to coat.  Then add in the water.  I cooked it on low for about 7 hours.  I then pureed it with my hand blender but you could easily have put this in a food processor.  Just blend to your desired consistency depending on how chunky or smooth you like it.

Once cooled it will look like this.


It made about 4 cups!  It was incredibly delicious and almost like apple butter mixed with applesauce.



The only note I will make is that this has a VERY strong cinnamon taste.  If you're not a huge cinnamon fan like me I would recommended cutting it down to about 1/2 TBS of cinnamon.

Definitely give this a try.  It's a lot cheaper than store bought applesauce, taste better and is more nutritious!

No comments:

Post a Comment