Thursday, October 27, 2011

Soup Is On

So I thought I'd highlight a batch of my lovely "Everything in the Fridge" Vegetable Soup.

I never follow a recipe when I make this.  I generally use the same combination of vegetables, but it can and will vary slightly based on whats fresh and cheap.

I always start with carrots, celery, onion and fresh garlic.  Although admittedly I always use about double the average carrot amount because my family loves carrots.  Sautee until tender.


Then I add in my diced up cauliflower and cabbage.  I like to let this cook for about ten minutes.


I add chopped zucchini last because it cooks faster than all the other veggies and if you add it in at the beginning it can get too smushy. 


Lastly I added in about 8 cups of beef broth.  You could easily use chicken if you prefer the taste, or vegetable broth if you wanted it to be vegetarian.  My family just happens to love veggie soup with beef broth.  I also added in a cup of frozen mixed veggies at the end.


And lastly my secret weapon.  I added in 3 bay leaves and a splash of this stuff.  I add this stuff to gravy, soup and stew.  Anytime you're using beef broth this stuff is guaranteed to make it richer.


Once everything is in I let it simmer for about 45 minutes on low, but the longer you let it simmer the more developed the flavors will get.  It also taste great the next day!

No comments:

Post a Comment