Monday, May 7, 2012

Recipe - Turkey Taco Chili

Last week my dinner plans were ruined at the last minute. So I had no choice but to look in the fridge and figure out what I could make. I quickly took inventory and realized I could make some kind of chili. I browsed several recipes but nothing sounded just right so I decided to wing and make my own.

I’ll be the first to admit not all of my cooking adventures come out great, but this one was fantastic!

This chili is hearty and flavorful. It’s got all the comforts of a bowl of chili with the great flavors of Mexican food. It’s fast, easy and healthy. In fact my husband, who is not usually a big fan of ground turkey even gave this recipe two thumbs up.

 
Turkey Taco Chili


 

20 oz ground 93/7 turkey (raw weight)

½ cup finely minced onion

3-4 stalks of celery, finely minced

1 cup minced green bell pepper

1 4oz can fire roasted green chiles

1 can black beans, drained

1 large (28oz) can crushed tomatoes

28 oz water

1 cup corn (note - I used fresh corn on the cob but you could definitely use frozen)

1 TBS olive oil

2 TBS chili powder

1 TBS onion powder

1 TBS garlic powder

½ tsp dried oregano

 

1. In a large sauce pot cook onion, bell pepper and celery in olive oil until onions become translucent. Then add in the ground turkey and green chilies. As the turkey is cooking add in all dry spices (I personally like to season the meat as opposed to the entire pot, I find the flavor disperses better).

2. Once the meat is cooked through add in crushed tomatoes, water, corn and black beans. Stir well and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for an additional 45 - 60 minutes.

3. Enjoy!

 

I personally topped ours with green onions and fresh cilantro (as you can see in the picture). Another time I topped it with sour cream and queso fresco which was really delicious. This would also be delicious poured over a baked potato or served with a side of corn bread or warm tortillas.

This is the first recipe I’ve made where not a drop of leftovers was wasted. We ate this for days and still wished for more. Definitely give this recipe a try, you wont be disappointed!

1 comment:

  1. Looks good! I'll have to try this recipe for myself one day.

    ReplyDelete